Hi Jake
It was great racing with you ,-hope you have enjoyed the TYBEE 500 pics and Roxy,s photos especially, as much as I have ,-be sure if you are a part of any team to check out Roxy,s site,-click on galleries --then tybee 500
http://www.shotbyroxy.com/

Have had an ongoing conversation with TYBEE 500 organizer-s who have basically stated to please go ahead and encourage constructive diologue on this subject .They would of course like to accomodate the preferences of racing teams .

The 20 foot category platforms available along with parts etc are numerous and can be purchased used for very little . listed here -http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Formula20&Number=49650&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I don,t believe any custom building is required ,-and rules are tight enough with matching specifications and matching sail outline patterns that no advantage would be gained by not using an existing boat or at least basic platform with new matching sail plan if prefered.

For example -if the Formula 20 rule is in effect, with my heavier 400 LB crew weight I might opt for more of a narrower displ.type hull rather than Inter type wide flatter semi-planning type hull . I might take a NACRA 6/0 or evan SC or ARC 20 type hulls boards larger rudders and place the matching Inter mast rig and sails on it.
Any 20 could be modified to match the current I-20 specifications and sail patterns to comply with the F-20 rule ,-The HOBIE FOX could be upgraded and lightened ,-the Hobie 20 could be modified and raced successfully as the younger Aussie team proved in the 98 W-1000 race ,-a team could take Tornado hulls and modify to an 8.5 beam -385 LB weight ,with matching sail plan to make a F-20 compliant cat, numerous possible existing options are available from numerous brand types classes and potentially larger pool of racing teams .
What you would see is teams modifying boats of choise to their preferences including reef systems and other ocean racing safety modifications as well as support and interest from other numerous boat mfg and dealerships.

The Formula 20 rule adds a much larger potential pool of boats and racing teams and allows them options for ocean racing .
Some have done the Atlantic coastal races 5 or 6 times on I-20s now ,----

The other class that interests is an open class category ,-if I knew several teams were racing a particular type of cat or group of similar lighter-weight larger beam cats I would purchase one now and race and tune it this season with the 06 TYBEE 500 and Atlantic 1000 in mind . The Tornado seems a match for the Marstom and CFR 20 types ,-perhaps getting commitments from 5 to 10 teams in this category would be fun .
--The open class ,--and this is important --requires a latter seperate start off the beach with seperate first across the line wins scoring ,-and should not interfere with other class racing .

Either class would be fine with me ,but would like to have some idea of which direction to go with a boat selection and crew training , so the need for constructive diologue and hearing from other potential interested teams.

Carl

Last edited by sail6000; 05/24/05 09:10 AM.