I think what is important is where we want to go with this race. Do we want an event to promote our sport to the masses or do we want a semi-extreme event that is more accessable for the average sailor to participate in. If we want to make waves with the general public then the race needs to be 1000 miles with one design or a single formula class boat with the entries being sailed by the "rock stars". This will generate the most publicity and allow for big sponsorship and TV coverage. Otherwise, To keep this as an obtainable event for the above average sailor to participate in different classes could be allowed to allow a larger fleet. Whether it's this race or another I think we need that extreme, rock star, big money sponsored, tv covered race so our sport has a reason to be covered by the media. You would think the manufacturers could eat the depreciation on a few boats they supply and that some of the big suppliers of parts could pony up some $ for a prize package and other expenses. Harken, Ronstan, Murrays, Hobie, Nacra, etc... have made a mint on catsailors over the years, they should be able to see the benefits of sponsoring a race like this. With all of the new sports channels out there TV coverage should be fairly easy to obtain if they feel it is exciting enough.
I also think that the minimum size should be 20ft. This is a race in the Atlantic and the weather can turn very extreme very quickly and the sailors are often several miles out. When the waves get big the F16's and F18's are out of their element and sailor safety should be the number one consideration. I think the 20 footers provide the best ocean sailing ability and safety to the sailors.
But whatever the final results are I have always been and will remain a big fan of these distance races. I will make sure I get over to see at least 1 or 2 legs next year.

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL