I'm considering doing that Wouter. I may raise the hounds about 300mm, raise the top of the diamonds to just below the hounds and add an extra set of spreaders to the diamonds. Should be good.

I don't understand the argument that changing a sail plan will cost too much and people will leave the class. In pretty much every class I've sailed in, jibs need to be replaced atleast yearly and the mains get replaced every two years. This leads to an unavoidable and automatic phase in period.

If people are keeping their sails for much longer than these periods, they are probably not concerned about their performance. The argument that the introduction of a new sail will obsolete old sails is flawed because old sails need to be replaced anyway. Sails should be considered a consumable item in sailing.

However, occasionally someone will stumble across an old sail that performs well and these people are lucky, and generally good sailors too. These people that are lucky and good sailors shouldn't care about the rest of the fleet catching up to them because I believe close competition will grow the class. Eventually these lucky and good sailors will also need to replace their sails, at which time they can get the new sail plan.

Disclaimer: It may look like I am trying to promote the sail plan I have but that's not entirely true. I have gone with this mainsail because there are no other mosquitos in Brisbane and I am trying to compete with taipans (once I stop breaking the boat!). The reason I bought a mosquito is because it was available at a reasonable price and I considered it a good training boat for an F16 and a potential platform to modify into an F16. However if the mosquito class were to adopt a spinnaker (maybe in the form of a mosquito mark III) and a new mainsail planform, then I may consider it a better option due to all the good points the class has.

Well, that's enough of a rant for today.

Nick.