Aye Tim.
As I indicated in the previous mail I am not adverse to the development of sailing experiments in a unrestricted class but again the rumours of class regulation changes (even if it only be experimental and viewed in discussion group forums )_is detrimental to prospective members to one design craft. I didn't join the discussion to create an unrest in the forum group but just to voice my opinion. Now all that is said My background is from mono hull dinghies, sharpie and most recently Fireball. The Sharpie fleet all started experimenting with bigger kites and rigs and eventually the regulations changed and the class is now falling into minimal numbers with only the guys with all the ready resources ($$$$) being able to afford a very rolls royce type dinghy. (your everyday racer cannot afford it anymore). The Fireball is very strict in the regulations as well but experiments and regulation changes to allow a larger spinnacker along with the PRO choice of Olympic or Trapizoidal courses has now made it that you must have both kites in your gear selection.(another $1,000 bit of gear you must have to be competive). I have now rejoined the ranks of mozzies after leaving them back in 1992. My club has now gone to Mozzies in considerable numbers,(arguably the biggest fleet in Sth. Aust.) The attraction of Strict one design and fleet numbers being the draw card. This is why I have rejoined the class and maybe a better explanation for my concerns about experimental performance enhancers because in my experience over my last couple of classes and years things tend to happen without many people knowing. Please don,t allow a very fine piece of sporting design fall to the grips of the haves.
Regards,
Switch.