Just to clarify something which appears I didn't make clear...

I am developing my F16 sailing skillz by purchasing a boat I can afford at this point in time that would measure as an F16 and would give me a platform to upgrade over time, that happened to be a mosquito.

Since my boat is a mosquito, apart from the main, I am gathering as much information about mosquitos as possible to learn how to sail and setup my boat better.

It was my impression that the mosquitos were considering an update of their allowed mainsails so I was merely adding my experiences to the classes knowledge already in this area.

I feel that my only response to Darryl's comment is to compare the current Yachting Victoria yardsticks for the two classes.

Mosquito (all) - 84
Mosquito (spinnaker) - 80
Taipan (cat) - 76.5
Taipan (sloop) - 73.5

The taipan sloop should beat a mosquito by over 10 minutes in ever 100 of race time (is that the correct interpretation of the handicap). To add to my woes, I believe the current taipan sloop national champion races from my club. Maybe in some conditions I may have a chance (do mosquitos do well in light air against their handicap?) but I think a taipan that is getting beaten by a mosquito is going pretty slow. It's my understanding that a taipan is a similar weight, length and beam to a mosquito, but with more sail area...if this is correct it's no wonder they are faster!

As I said before, I am merely sharing my experience of a different mainsail on a mosquito platform with the people of this forum. I put my two cents in about the idea that sails should be replaced regularly because that is my opinion and I think it is a damn good argument against people using the excuse of not wanting to update the classes mainsail planform because it will make their sails obsolete (still haven't heard a good argument to refute my opinion).

If people want to hear this information I am eager to share it. However if it is not wanted I will post it in the F16 forum.

Best regards,
Nick.
Here endeth the rant.

Last edited by nickb; 02/14/06 11:03 PM.