Thanks, Tim & Darryn for clearing up my misconception. We (the RSA Mozzies) had believed that your uni fleet would be faster around a course than your sloop guys, even if it was windy. We must have got that info from someone / somewhere, but these last two posts clears things up a bit.
Having said that, when our National champ sails uni in up to 14knots he is still damn hard to beat if I`m sloop, over 14knots it only gets a little bit easier to stay with him, and that includes us both on spi. downwind. But in over 20knots sloop is just so much faster.
Skill level still plays a huge role, as you said Tim, well sailed Moz can beat an average Taipan sailor, I have had Hobie Tigers behind me but then I know there is a difference in skill levels, it proves nothing about the boat`s potential.
Darryn, I was not questioning your integrity about finishing ahead of Taipan sloops in 20knots, just letting Wouter know that from what I`ve heard you are no slouch against the Taipans in these conditions.

Steve