I think this would be a interesting discussion. I am pondering on this thought right now and I would like to read what others think.

Is there a future in beach cat sailing? Apart from H16, F16, F18 and A cats; is there a true market for beach cats?
Are there any sailors that just enjoy sailing and NOT racing?

To me it seems like the formula classes attract those who love racing. What ever happened with Hobie Waves? Do regular folks purchase them? Or are they purchased only at ocean front hotel/resorts? How about the Gateways? I have never seen one other than at hotels.

Prindles, ARC, Supercats are these still in production?
Homebuilders? Is there anyone out there still building home project boats?

How about those boats that are considered "exotics" M20s, did the M18 ever get into production? Or how about the ghostly CFR20? I only saw ONE at 2005 tradewinds. How about the Eagle 20? Is even the I20 going to die out eventually? Or will the Tybee 500 keep this class alive and healthy? What will happen if the Tybee 500 migrates over into F18s?

I guess my post will mostly apply to the US. Seems like we are a dying class of sailors apart from the people who enjoy racing. F16s, F18s and A cats are on the rise, are all the others dieing or just being recycled?

I have also noticed that “open” classes are getting smaller and all others are getting bigger. This is the main reason behind my questions. How do you see it today and how do you think it will be in the future. I have only been sailing beach cats for three years now. I am fairly new and this is how I am seeing our situation.