TikiPete,

I'm guessing you may have found that singlehanding is a handfull....especially during a distance race. I sail an F17...........sometimes with the jib also.

I have found that cycling is the ticket for me. I try to ride between 80 and 140 miles per week. Actually, on the weekends I don't race , I do a club ride which is normally between 40-62 miles....... Mix that in with some running, pushups, pullups, and a few dumbbell curls and you're all set. I am 50 btw.

We just had our Sea Buoy race yesterday. It's about 20 miles are so. Except for the first 3 I-20's , it took over 3 and 1/2 hours. Over half of that was trap time or holding the spin sheet. A lot of that in the Gulf. I could tell that the biking had really helped.

Also with cycling, you can eat about as much as you want. A normal 60 mile ride averaging about 20 mph will burn around 2500 calories or more. 18-20 mile training ride can burn nearly 1000 calories if accomplished at a good tempo. If you are trying to lose weight, ride slower.

Tom Turlington
F17 #12