That isnt my experience or understanding..
On an 18teen the pole end is supported by side wires from the wings. I am not sure if they still do but they used to run a tripod as well as wing lines. A third line runs through a dolphin striker to the tip. I believe the 12s still use a tripod still as they have no substantial wings. So to gain lateral stiffness there is a lower dolphin striker and two spreaders. These take the side forces and the under takes the lifting forces.
Now understanding the pole on a "12" is 14 foot past the bows and they have up to 30" of mast above deck the forces on the rig tend to extreme. Even a small rigged 18 pole being around the 14 foot level past the bows is extreme in cat terms. Also the poles on a skiff is generally straight out not lifted as on a cat..

Cats have tiddlers for poles (past the bows) then the forces are far less (for the size) but still significant. Placing things into 12 foot perspective a T would have a pole that would be 20-24 foot past the bows.

What I suspect is they are increasing the luff length by bending the pole down with a striker..