Originally Posted by Jake
man, you guys are tough! It used to be the norm to get the finish line coordinates. It was a source of error for a few teams that didn't do the google earthing correctly in the last couple of years. If the Race committee is visiting each site (I presume that is still the case), it's not that much effort to ping a waypoint on the beach in front of the hotel on a GPS (or phone) and share it.

It's really not about the "effort" by the RC, I'm more than happy to give whatever amount of info will help more boats show up and have a good time.

I'm just lamenting a more pure time, when we would do distance races with nothing more than the charts and compasses the OA would "force" us to buy.

It does drive me bonkers to hear stories about boats and coaches (not necessarily in cat classes, BTW) who make a stink at buoy races if the marks aren't in an exact location, on clear weather in broad daylight, etc...

Again, not because of the work for the RC, but for the seamanship and common sense that seems to have disappeared from our sport.

And yes, I am aware that picking out the "right" hotel on some of those beaches is tough, especially in fading/ no sunlight; but again, isn't that part of the race???

Mike