I took a quick read of SI 14, and my opinion is that it may cause more problems than it solves. Technical issues aside, populating a protest committee with interested parties is likely to result in an appeal. If the protest committee does not supply a written decision, then the appeals committee will undoubtedly send the protest back to be reheard.

If the goal is to expedite hearings, then why not simply invoke Appendix T Section C - "Expedited Hearings"?

In my opinion, "3 minute justice" only works in very informal racing, or with a very experienced protest committee. Do you ever wonder why an "international jury" is defined the way it is, or why it's decisions cannot be appealed? It's because IJ's operate in regattas with such high protest loads that they cannot get the job done without throwing protest procedure to the wind. The jury members have to be extraordinarily skilled in order to reach the correct decision without taking the time to follow Appendix M.

There are a number of skilled judges in Florida. Why not approach them to help out?

Sincerely,
Eric Rasmussen
Chair, SAYRA Appeals Committee