Originally Posted by brucat
SI 8.3 allows communication with ground crew, but does not modify RRS 41.

A Sailing Instruction that changes (i.e. conflicts with) a racing rule without conforming to RRS 86.1(b) is not valid. To change RRS 41, the SI must "refer specifically to it and state the change".

So, what is the intent? Be careful, because this is a genie/bottle thing. It's extremely difficult to enforce a half-rule (i.e. you can talk to someone, but only about certain things), you're better off just taking away any restrictions.

The genie is already out of the bottle. It's perfectly acceptable to call your spouse while racing and make dinner plans. Rule 41, however, prohibits calling someone stationed up the course and discussing the wind conditions.

...they stated that there will be no PC in the SIs. That's quite different than pulling one together as needed. Again, I'm not completely clear on the intent, because they stop short of stating that protests are not allowed...

RRS 85 states "The organizing authority, race committee, and protest committee shall be governed by the rules in the conduct and judging of races". RRS 63.1 states "the protest committee shall hear all protests...". If an organizing authority refuses to form a protest committee, or if a protest committee refuses to hear a protest, then they are in breach of RRS 85, and are subject to appeal.

In theory, SI's could change rules 60-68 to remove a boat's right to protest and eliminate hearings, but that would be sowing disaster. The OA might as well not follow the Racing Rules of Sailing at all.

I hope that helps,
Eric