Originally Posted by Tim594

I sailed my Hobie 16, 3 weeks after buying it and had never been on a catamaran ever, but i knew the sailing basics. Now most warm weekends in the summer I take out a couple 17yo's for a 30 minute sail on my 16, 10 mph wind, show them how to launch, tack, jybe ( not flip )and make it back to the beach where we started and they're hooked! I let 'em group up and sail around the lake on my spare 16 for hours at a time. ( keeping an eye on them of course, life jackets mandatory ) There is a BIG interest of Younger sailors here..... The teenagers are getting tired of sitting on dads pontoon boat watching me fly a hull past them wink

Okay Tim, reading your inspired remarks about younsters on the beach and the pontoons, I conclude that you have a really interest in raising up the youth with regard to sailing.
You are not alone in this, there are in every sport innumerable youthtrainers, coaches and volunteers which all are to be praised for spending their (often) freetime.

Being a windsurfer of the first hour, I spend 40 years each weekend on the beach between and with younsters. I enjoyed that very much, and still do. Specially when I got older, it made me somehow feel younger.
I've seen two beach-generations growup. When I walk in the city, I met known grownup guys with kids and younsters on their hands which I've learned windsurfing in the waves when they themselves were still kids. But I've also seen that a part of them was getting hooked on harddrugs or commiting suicide or ending in prison.
(I was invited for the Duth Big Brother II for being the older mature man in the group, which I ofcourse refused)

The last ten years I spend half of my summertime in the beachpost of the local beachguard, actually living daily between the youth. And I've seen the upcoming of the socialmedia and the influence of it on them.

But I keep saying that all this has less to do with this forum and its interface. I've said before in another thread that I consider this forum as a hangout bar where catsailors have a sort of after-sport time, discussing, sharing experiences, showing pictures and videos and finally feeling globally connected to each other.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 01/13/15 06:19 AM.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.