First off, I really like this forum. Rick, I don't really know you other than from this site but it is evident that you are a passionate cat sailor and I am very grateful to have this forum as a source for advice and friendship. I am sure it takes up a lot of your free time and I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I am grateful for it.

I personally don't see anything wrong with this site. It is easy enough to navigate and search. I've gotten a lot of great advice and met a lot of great people through this site. Without this forum and the Hobie forum, I might still be sailing around a little lake with my half of my boat rigged backwards. I won't even share how I hooked up my main sheet on my "maiden" voyage. It was far from correct.

I also agree with others that this site does not need moderation. We are all adults here. However, I would ask that people think hard about the impact that political discussions on this forum have on future and potential sailors. Think about how many young sailors troll this site. I know I spent several weeks just looking over the forums before I ever made my first post. What impression does it give a new sailor who is on the fence about participating in regattas when they come here and see us bashing each other for our political beliefs? I would be concerned that we scaring away future participants because of how our political attitudes are voiced here. If I were a newbie, I may be worried that I'd end up having to defend my political beliefs or spend a weekend of uncomfortable introversion at an event when I was expecting to have fun. I'd rather talk sailing...anytime. The political talk on this forum has gotten a little out of hand IMO.

I'll say that sometimes people need to put on their big boy pants. If someone gets involved in a discussion then they need to be able to take the heat if and when it comes. Again, I just worry about the impression it gives to potential sailors and participants.

As to the lack of participation on the forums and at events... that's a big one. I consider myself to be of the younger age bracket here at 31. I've tried my damnedest to talk my buddies into buying cheap cats, but they just won't bite. The passion for this kind of sport has to already be there. Sailing is a huge commitment compared with the multitude of past-time activities the youth of today has to choose from. I think continuing to publicize sailing events like the AC needs to continue and we have to keep fighting for our sport.

The tanking economy over the last several years probably hasn't helped either. I've seen several golf courses close lately around my area. I think that is also a testament to a struggling middle class and a reluctance to invest in expensive leisure activities.

Kind of a long ramble to say that I like the forum the way it is. I just think the veterans of this forum need to be more mindful of the impression that they may be sending to the folks that are on the fence about becoming a part of the cat sailor family.

Last edited by abbman; 01/14/15 04:14 PM.

James
1983 Hobie 16'