Okay everyone, time for me to chime in.

First of all I want to say thank you to all of you for you all have both diverse and passionate opinions about this topic of wind speed limits. I also want to say thanks for all the support and for all the criticism, I will use both to the benefit of acquiring wisdom. We all have alot of knowledge but I want to acquire wisdom which is to know what to do with the knowledge.

I have no excuses for anything that transpired, the race was run, the request for redress was filed and a decision was issued. My only regret is that I did not say that I determined the wind was 5 knots at the start. I was questioned repeatedly by 6 sailors and 3 jury members and every question regarding wind speed revolved around my last reading, whether it was done electronically, etc. When I answered the question did I know the wind speed at the start I answered the question did you know what the wind meter read at the start and I did not. Based on the movement of the boats, their ability to recover from a general recall and restart, the wind on my face, etc there was five knots of wind at the start. As for recording the wind speeds I guess the question is recorded where and how. I always record the windspeed at the start on the order of finish forms and usually on an electronic recording instrument. I did not have one on my electronic recorder this time (probably busy sighting down the line for a clean start) but I will bet dollars to donuts the windspeed recorded on the order of finish forms the jury used for placement state 5 knots. Strange that was never used in the room.

No excuses, just the facts.

Now, I wrote the SIs and never even considered the fact that this would come to pass. My interpretation of the "as determined" clause was to allow for dynamics. What I mean by that is 5 knots is not always 5 knots. I could have 5 knots of steady breeze but have a 1 knot current. Do you all want me to start a race? What is the effective wind speed you feel as a racing yacht?

Let's talk a bit about the request for redress. In the room I actually heard some of the sailors using all their past experiences in other events that gave them a superior ability to determine wind speed from a moving vessel over that of a very well-seasoned sailor/PRO on a stationary platform. I was really taken aback that they had the nerve to discuss qualifications with me. I think most of you know some of my sailing experiences, my accomplishments and where around the globe they occured. Some of you have enjoyed those times with me. As for RC experience I do not think any one of the competitors in the room can come close to mine. There was actually one sailor, a guy from Canada, don't remember his name, that said he is constantly checking windspeeds as he is an avid windsurfer and does it all the time so he is somewhat of an expert at it. He seemed to sail by my boat almost every race so I asked him everytime I noticed him what the windspeed was and not once was he even close, always low. I guess a 1 knot drift will adversely affect your ability to determine wind speed from a floating platform.

Just a note on the future.

Rick, I will be honored to PRO any F18 event they would have me at as I know it is not an F18 issue. All but one of these sailors that filed the request for redress have either sailed under my management or against me on the water in the Hobie 16 and Hobie 20 classes.

Wind speed limits. If I ever put a minimum wind speed rule in my future SIs it will be stated with an or before the word as and instead of determined it will say at the discretion of. Something like: No race will be started in wind less than 5 knots at every mark on the course or at the discretion of the race committee. Remember, if I start a race and if becomes apparent it is not competitive I can abandon it, but that is my call not the sailors call.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I eliminated the rule via an amendment asap after the ruling and that on Thursday, with the wind conditions looking very much like the day before, the entire fleet joined me and my staff on the water to either sit and wait with me or race. Race we did. Two races, lunch, shift course, one race, wait, shift course, two more races, on the beach 1815.

All said and done, it was a GREAT event, I had a wonderful time, and all this will only make me a better PRO for all of you in the future.

God Bless,

Mark