As a spin boat driver, I always assumed those boats not in my class were "obstacles" and needed to be avoided through good strategy.

Knowing that non-spin boats don't always realize what a spin boat will do on a turn leaves all that much more responsibility with the spin boat driver.

I think everyone agrees on the rules of the road, but why make the H-16 do a turn? I could see that if the H-16 and N20 were racing open fleet against each other, but I suspect they were in different classes. In that case, there seems to be no advantage gained by the H-16 getting tangled up with the N20.

If I were in a spin boat in a different class (or even different course) than another group of boats, I just do my best to negotiate around them with as little loss of position in my fleet as possible. It's all part of the tactical plan.

It's my duty to avoid a collision, regardless of whether I have right of way or not.

Please understand my position is based on the concept that BOTH boats were doing their best to avoid this messy situation. Yes, the N20 was stuck luffing or gybing to avoid contact. Yes, the H-16 should have known they would get run down by spin boats and worked to stay out of trouble. But we're all not in a perfect world. If we were, we would all tie for first place...

But sending a boat to the sidelines just sounds a little harsh, unless it's a professional (money earning) race.

I guess I'm spoiled that most races put spin and non-spin boats on different courses, or plan the starts to reduce the chance of pileups at mark roundings...
SURVEY SAYS 96! "It's my duty to avoid a collision,regardless of whether I have right of way". That about says it all in my book in everything but the olympics then your in ramming mode.