I'd like to end this since I started it with the following summary.

1. It's easy to get pre-occupied with setting up the boat for downwind after you round the top mark(s) so even if you have the right of way, make sure you keep your head out of the boat especially if you are setting a chute and coming down into slower upwind boats. In gusty conditions, they may not be able to keep clear of you as well as you would like. You have control so communicate what you want the give way boat to do if you can.
2. The I-20 sailor in this instance was justifiably upset having to alter course with the slower H-16 but I believe he realized after the incident that the H-16 was not trying to purposely to get in his way and had reacted too late.
3. Boats coming in from the left on or near the port tack layline do so at great risk if boats are rounding. You have no recourse if you are hailed to do circles in the event you cause a right of way boat to alter course to avoid a collision.
4. And finally remember if you purposely try to pass a boat to weather on the same tack, he has every right to luff you to head to wind even if it causes you to capsize. It's your choice to risk passing to windward and getting luffed is part of the game.

Sail fast, sail smart, sail safe.
Bob Hodges

Good summary Bob. Just 1 small point with item 4. If you are not on the same leg as the one getting overtaken the boat that is behind may not purposly interfere with the overtaking boat. By that, he is free to sail his normal course but he may *NOT* dive into a luffing match with the overtaking boat.

Tiger Mike

While I agree that it would be unsportsman-like, where is this in the rule book?

Jake Kohl