My personal preference is to have Phill design the hulls as his Blade hulls are very good. Much better then any other homebuildable plans out there.

The pixie idea is just to get a test platform on the water to work out the beam-landing design and test the class 5 rig. Think of it as a validation platform with the real F12 platform being optimized with the experiences gained.

Easy to build (if homebuilding is to be a serious option), easy to transport, easy to rig and easy to sail.

I think 3 out of 4 key points are almost certainly assured with this F12 basic setup.

I know from my class 5 experience how quick and easy this mast sail combo is too rig and sail. I see no reason why it should be any different when placed on a boat.

The same class 5 exeperience tells me that it is easy to transport as well. The class 5's are 50 kg in overall weight and the mast can be broken down into smaller pieces.

The mast is easy to build and as good as all class 5 landyachters do build them themselfs. The sail is nothing special either, just a sleeved sail with a round tube stuck through its sleeve. Its most important feature is luff curve. The boom is free hanging and even my grandmother can build one of those.

Other components are pretty standard Cat stuff.

The angle to attract kids is to first make these boats look modern and look fast. I think the rig goes a long way in adressing this.

The second is to do fleet racing like the waves are doing, where anybody can come along and enter himself into the race after paying say 25 bucks per evening.

Then grow it from there. Maybe challenge a few laser-1's and beat them.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands