Exactly. Get the kids on the water, on anything, then teach them to take the helm and set the sails, and they'll be hooked (just like we all were).

I sail because I spent my HS years living on a small lake and we had a Sunfish. I lived on that boat...my folks usually had to blow a horn to tell me it was time to come in for dinner. Everyone knows the Sunfish isn't a fast, exciting boat, but I had a blast sailing one as a kid.

As they say, the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree, so children of active parents will tend to be active themselves, and then have active kids of their own someday. It's a bit like preaching to the choir to discuss it here, so I would posit that to expand the sport we have to reach out to those that aren't inherently exposed to it. Volunteer sailing programs with local schools, community groups, etc? Take your neighbors/friends kids sailing? Conduct sailing club fund raisers, buy some learner boats, and reach-out to the community?

Bottom line is we have to get new ones on the water. Once we do that, the rest takes care of itself.