I already like that the F12 is a Formula setup. Now one group can try Phills quick and dirty approach and see how that works while another can try a more complicate hull design.

It takes 100 hours to build a Paper Tiger.

I assume you are referring to only the hulls here, correct ?

How much time would be saved if :

-1- the F12 would not glass the panels (as was done in your PT pics), only the joints.

-2- if no centreboard cases were to be build and installed.

-3- If the deck was so narrow (in combination to being curved and multiple bulkheads) that you didn't need deck stringers. Same for the sides.

-4- no chainplates where to be installed as we'll use an unstayed rig

-5- no hull reinforcements need to be made in the bow section as there is no bridle loads

Am I correct in assuming that no set of catamaran hulls can be build under 50 hours no matter how simple the design is ? Afterall little jobs always take longer then expected.

I'm trying to look at these F12 hulls as something to be build in the way timber optimists were build. By having a series of bulkheads cut out and stood up over which to fold the panels using glue and screws. The stringers being the connecting rods between the bulkheads.

It would be very interesting to learn where most of the time is spend building the PT hulls. Maybe we can avoid that in the F12.

What if we just have 5 "gunwhale" stringers (1 keel and 4 in the chines) holding together the bulkheads and just fix the panels to those. In itself that would already be a rather stiff and strong box section, correct ? Without bridles and daggerboars or even skegs this should hold.

The only reinforcements required will be the beamlandings and the stern for taking the rudders.

Couldn't we cut alot of corner here that possibly would make the PT quite a job to build.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 01/04/07 06:10 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands