I do not have time to read this entire thread right now, so I hope this has not be said but, I have said this before and still believe that what we need to do is find a way to get the parents off their buts and go to the lakes. I do not believe it is the kids that are not interested, it's the parents that do not know sailing is very much alive.

Most of us land locked adults don't even think about going to a lake for any reason. In the back of our minds my wife and I always liked to get out of town, we just never did! Her family use to go camping all the time when she was young. Her dad would wake them up at 4:30 in the morning load them in the car and go. We have been married 19 years and been camping once. Not because we did not want to, we just never thought about it.

I always wanted to get a boat, I just didn't have time, it costs too much. When you live a whole hour from the nearest day lake and 2 or 3 hours from a lake that you can camp at. Lets go Camping. 4 kids 4 responses, 6 year old daughter, "WHEN ARE WE GOING??????????", 15 year old son, "2 days with out my game cube? No TV? NO WAY!!!!" 16 year old daughter can I take a friend? and 17 year old daughter, Hummm, boys???

I found a boat and a fleet and we went camping. The little one can not wait for the season to start again, hooked for live. My son just found out there is a sailboard one of the fleet members is giving away, he does not know he is getting it for his birthday tomorrow but really thought that would be cool. 16 year old daughter, learned to sail my 16 and is helping build one for them to sail. 17 Year old daughter, learned to sail a banshee and has been camping a few times.

Yes a small simple boat would help, but I would probably not buy a $3000 boat for a child. I just can not afford it. A good used 14 or similar maybe.

Again, just a few thoughts, Find a way to get parents out!!! It does not have to cost thousands of dollars. I believe that if kids are by the water and there are boats, they will probably go sailing. Some of them may even enjoy it.

We had a tent and some sleeping bags, no cook ware no water jugs, but, we did have LOTS of BEER Storage vessels. So we took beer soda and food. The fleet has been great and after just one season we are just about self sufficient.

Sam

[b] Sail Like you have a Pair