Does anyone in the States remember the "Fast is Fun" program? Art Stevens had 5 Hobie Waves that he would take around the country to clubs where kids were already sailing Opti's. I tried to find out what ever became of that program but can't get any contact with Art, now that he is out of the program.

I remember reading in a Sail magazine, back when the Wave was first introduced (1994?) they did a test of new "Kid's Boats" with the Opti, JY Opti, Byte, etc. and the Wave. I remember reading that overwhelmingly, the kid's FAVORTIE boat was the Wave. The two reasons were: "It's Fast" and "We can sail with a friend".

After I read that, I figured the Wave would become the new Opti, but here we are, more than 10 years later, when I go to Yacht Clubs all I see are racks and racks of Opti's and Lasers. No Waves. Why is that, if that is the boat the kids prefer?

I think there is a fair amount of Yacht Club bias towards the mono dinghy pipeline. The steps are well worn, Opti, Laser Radial, Laser, 420, 470. They sell it as "The way to the Olympics" or to Jr. Olympics. Cats only have what, the Wave, with no real Jr. racing program other than Rick doing it alone, and Hobie 16 as the Jr. boat. They take up a lot of room on the beach (no rack storage for cats) and most clubs don't even HAVE a beach in the first place. The Opti racers have 4 classes to chose from, from beginner to experienced, they have built an excellent program over the years. I had hoped Hobie would try to do the same with the Wave, but I don't see too many at Yacht Clubs.

So we have to overcome at least two problems right there: 1. get a Jr. racing pipeline established and 2. storage space. The first you could do, but the space? Most clubs I've been to just don't have the extra space available to store 10 Hobie 16's + Waves, nor a beach to launch them from. And most of our regattas are not held out of a Club, but from a good cat launching site. So even if you had a Club full of kids ready and willing to race a Wave type Jr. Cat, they would have to hold their own small regattas or load it up and travel to a regatta. Easisly done with an Opti or Laser on the top of Dad's car, not as easy with with a trailer boat.

Cost? Well, 10 years ago a new "Full Race" Opti was selling for about $3,500, for an 8' bathtub! A new Laser is over $5,000 now. I would guess a new 420 would have to be at least $7-10K? So that is what you will be competing with.

Last edited by Timbo; 01/03/07 10:33 AM.

Blade F16