I have to agree with John .., and this is what I said from the very beginning of expanding to twenty teams, so all the “buds” could get in on the Championship.

Stick with the ladder system that way it started -- 10 areas, 10 qualifiers, and 10 for the duration of the round robin event.

The craze for more teams was created by the Californians who felt they had more high-caliber sailors than Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Florida, etc. However, the ladder was designed to take the BEST sailor for EACH area and compete. They lobbied that CA had 6 great sailors and they should ALL attend.

Hence the new system. I fought it from the very start and still feel it has created a mess.

And no mfg. is going to supply 20 boats, so consequently the convoluted round robin system had to be invented, leaving half the fleet going home early.

And yes, those usually are the Area Reps – they just got outsailed by the Rock Stars.
It is great to sail with the Rock Stars, but one should be from each area.

I think I know what my next editorial will be.., and I bet it won’t be gladly accepted.
Answer to the Problem is build stronger Areas and promote them more. Forget the invitations to the Elite.

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com