Firstly, I understand the problem very well. The Alter Cup is dying and nothing is being done to prevent it.

A good part of the reason is USS's lack of credibility within the catamaran community. The rank and file do not feel represented. If you don't value the organization, why would you value their championship?

USS's Portsmouth numbers are not respected. The reporting is spotty at best. Why would a serious sailor compete in a system which he does not find credible?

Lastly, not everyone agrees that "no tuning" is the best way to determine a true champion. I am one of them. I would give much greater credence to a champion who brings a boat on which he is thorougly familiar and is set up to his, or her, best advantage.

USS has the opportunity to solve all three of these problems with a single event.

There is an old saying, "If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting." A significant change is in order, imo.

Last edited by pgp; 07/29/10 04:12 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.