Originally Posted by pgp
Disagree all you like but in doing so you must believe there is no problem with the handicap system, there is approval of USS in general, and that no one disagrees with the "no tuning" aspect of the AC.

Does any other class determine it's champion by swapping boats? Or disallowing individual tuning?

Of course there are problems with portsmouth. Of course the rotation system isn't perfect in every way. Of course you can never have 10 boats that are completely identical (although I've run the statistics on the boats for two years and they've empirically been extremely even throughout the results) - but we don't live in Eutopia. Everything is a compromise in some way but I believe we have a great balance with what we have.

I also understand the exacting detail in the Portsmouth system and I'm a big fan of the level headed and incredible thought and energy that went into developing the statistics and math that went into it and the resulting numbers. Again, same deal; the problem here is that the people don't put in the energy to support it by competing in their qualifiers or sending in their portsmouth results on a regular basis. Even considering that, I believe it works pretty well. The only way to improve on it is to find a system that nobody has to do anything with to maintain it or find a way to get people more interested.

Why don't people attend qualifiers in massive numbers? Why was area C less attractive to all of the cat sailors in the area?

Jake Kohl