It's also worth noting that there are selections that do come from various class championships throughout the country. Both Nacra and Hobie get to send a selected team (who is urged to be a champion of one of their classes) and (I believe) the manufacturer that is supplying boats gets to send a team. In addition to that, a rotating class (which has most recently been the formula classes that don't have a single manufacturer) is selected each year to send it's national champ (or down to 3rd place)...so class championships are represented.

As John said, how do you get people to the qualifier. Why are the qualifiers low in attendance? In area D, we have consistently had pretty good turnout at both the Dn and the Ds and we usually duke it out to be the area with the largest qualifier in the country. What are we doing differently? Personally, I enjoy the event and racing on handicap is a somewhat unusual challenge for me since I mostly race within a class. The guys we sail with are tough too and it's freakin fun working out how far ahead you have to be or behind you can be to beat someone...lots of great conversation. AND the qualifier results help add to the portsmouth results for more accurate ratings.

For you guys that don't go to your qualifiers - why does it get a low priority on your regatta list?

Jake Kohl