Thanks for doing the hdc numbers! I've been meaning to do that. The other way I could go is sticking with the HT and widening it like others have done. I'll have to check those numbers as well.

I singlehand most of the time and class racing in our area is pretty much non existing for any boat, unfortunatly. I can keep my boat on a local lake shore 5 minutes from my front door and will travel to a few races at lake Erie if time permits. (2 grade schoolers, wife, long hours at work etc etc)

I sold my Nacra 18 square last winter. The old ones are heavy! I could have invested a chunk into that boat and still had a 1992 aluminum masted heavy boat. Now for less than $5 G's I have a very light, stiff carbon masted modern boat that's very fast in all conditions and a trailer. I think 1 dagger board on the Nacra weighed as much as 2 daggers and 2 rudder blades on the HT.

What Im really after is a very stable boat in heavy air. Lite weight to drag up the shore and still competative in regards to hdc ratings. Tha nacra 18 sq was very stable...

The sail - if I stick with widening only, I stay with the existing main. Sooner or later I'll need a new main and I can decide then if it should be an 18 sq or HT.

De-value? since the fleet is not hot and heavy I think that work has been done prior to me buying the boat. first they were sold at a lesser price when brought in for the Worrel. When I was looking at this boat there were 4 others available. 2 were in the same price range, 1 was cheaper. 1 was $8 G's, sailed 3 times, no trailer, no extras but perfect condition. It's been for sale for 2 years or so at this point. Most had extras, maybe sails, cattrax, boards etc. To me this is a pretty good price for a carbon masted, lite weight modern boat. Especially in the condition I found them to be in.

I will still keep the stock set up if I modify so in reality I would have 2 boats to a prospective buyer!

Time & Money doing the mods.
It's late fall in Ohio, soon to be winter. I have plenty of time. Im in the landscape business. The boat is in the basement and I don't have to share the space. Plenty of tools including Industrial sewing machine.... so let the fun begin.

Money - I priced aluminum beams locally, afordable. Carbon doubtful but we will see. New tramp - I'll build it myself buying material on line etc. We have a god guy in town who can do new stays and wires if necessary. I found a used Harken track on ebay for $20.

So It will be a fun winter
Great conversation though!
Im glad to see this much interest in the boat. Many people seem to like the boat and concept.
I would like to see an 18HT regatta somewhere. How about 18HT Florida Midwinter's - Pensacola??? Stock boat, 2 Up!!!! I could find crew for that.

Thanks for your input as well!

Ed Baldwin
Central OH
Bimare 18HT #4