For those who don't know me, I am a US Sailing Judge and Umpire in training (it's a lengthy process), and do a lot of judging at collegiate events in New England. I recently purchased an F18 and am now the Eastern Area Rep. I will try to answer the question about what rules apply at the start in a general fashion, not so much in response to Todd's situation.

Barging is actually never mentioned in the rules, so I try to avoid using that wording.

For the case of overlapped boats approaching the start, the rules that apply are:

Rule 11: WIndward Leeward
Rule 16.1: Right of way boat must give another boat room to keep clear
Rule 17: Proper course (only applies after the start)

Additionally, call C2 provides clarification on the situation

As was mentioned earlier, the preamble of part C states that rule 18 and 19 do not apply at a start mark surrounded by navigable water. There is no mark room for a start mark.

Rule 11 is the main one here. The windward boat is give way and must keep clear, even if that means sailing on the wrong side of the starting mark.

The leeward boat's actions are restricted by rule 16.1, which says a right of way boat must give the keep clear boat room to avoid. Usually this places restrictions on how quickly you can alter. At the boat, rule 16.1 can also restrict the ability of the right of way boat to force a windward boat into the start boat, as outlined in call C2.

Call C2 shows that if a windward boat has already established a position overlapped with the start boat, they can not be forced into the start boat because the leeward boat is not giving them room to keep clear. This doesn't apply very well to the steeplechase situation because of the nature of the start mark allowed the give way boat an out.

Rule 17 talks about proper course, but does not apply before a start. Therefore, a leeward ROW boat can point as high as they like before the start, effectively "closing the door". Rule 17 is important, however, because after the start the right of way boat must sail their proper course, which in most cases would be close hauled, and not above (although sailing above close hauled to make the pin is considered proper course).

I hope this explanation is helpful, and I can definitely try to answer any questions. I will try to post call C2 if I can figure out how to do it!

Best,
Jeff

USF18 Eastern Area Rep
Nacra Infusion USA 753