Kris..

The key word you use is "anticipate"

How about ... change the word anticipate to the phrase... " be prepared to instantly respond to the luff from leeward which could occur at any time. ... knowing full well that you might have to go head to wind to avoid leeward who has all of the rights."

People take the word anticipate and infer that windward boat must take some action (course change in anticipation of leewards action)...

The ROW boat does not have to give them time to scratch their balls... retrieve the rule from memory of the 2004 rule book... cogitate on the fact that leeward has rights... and then put the stick over... and when you protest... they come back with a defense saying... I did not have to anticipate the luff and you did not give me room and opportunity...

No way... that is not the game!

Oh... and the hail is irrelevant.... BS'ing your intention to take them to the moon if they stick their nose up there spices up the game but is also unnecessary and I am not sure it helps.

The F18, Straycats obviously knew the rules and was well aware that he could be luffed up and responded instantly. Did he anticipate the luff???? well this is just a matter of semantics... but yes... he did anticipate the luff and was prepared to sail his boat well when he had to.

It matters because I know lots of sailors who read... "No need to anticipate..." and "must have room and opportunity" to think that Hard luffs are out of the game these days and that it's OK to stick their nose up there and try to roll someone a few feet to weather...

Better advice would be.... make sure you are well into the passing lane... and leeward can't defend with a hard luff.

crac.sailregattas.com