Originally Posted by Jake
I probably should have spoken up sooner but I was present on the beach on Sunday where Skip said he wanted to get (and I paraphrase) a second opinion. He never denied responsibility. Shame on those who said he did. I wasn't present during the discussion at the house around the video.

I've been in this situation the first year I started sailing and it's a very easy trap to find yourself in. I had a boat on top of me that I felt prevented me from aborting my reach into the starting area - but I didn't know my rights too well and I really couldn't anticipate what was going to happen next. All I knew was that I didn't like the angle I was coming in at the start line but I felt like I couldn't escape. My focus was on the boat above me and the committee boat I was approaching. Next thing I know, I have a Hobie 16 bow on my trampoline and a skipper screaming bloody murder at me.

If you've been racing for a while reaching/barging/starting becomes second nature - but this incident does require some anticipation to prevent if there is a crowd of boats at different angles. If you can't see this potential before hand, once you get into it, the escape routes are narrow and few (if existent).

So ,shame on Todd Riccardi for assuming that since responsibilty for the incident wasn't accepted, it was denied. Seems like a pretty good assumption to me. I guess they just needed a better mediator. grin (Smiley face is for you Jake)
If it wasn't so obvious I could see the confusion, but not in this case. That said, because it was so obvious and fault wasn't immediately accepted, I'd bet Todd thought he was trying to get out of it. That's what I'd think. Seems some time with a nose in the rule book is in need. Ignorance of the rules could have really hurt someone in this situation.

Last edited by Team_Cat_Fever; 12/16/11 10:05 AM. Reason: Clarification.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White