It has been clear that I have been silent here on this forum about the incident that occurred on the start of the first day of the Steeple Chase. Part of the reason for this is that I rarely if ever get on the forum, and had no idea that this string was being formed. When it was brought to my attention, by friends, what had transpired over the last few days on the forum, I logged on to see first-hand what had been said. I was amazed at the firestorm that had ensued concerning this incident, and also the mis-truths and misconceptions about the facts, as well as spot judgments of my character and other’s character from people that were not privy to the facts. Instead of giving a blow by blow from my perspective as the helmsman, which is quite different from the videos shot from opposite angles, I have decided to tell you what has transpired since the incident.
It has been said that I reneged on a hand shake that was to be considered an acceptance of blame for the damage to the leeward boat. First the setting of the discussion was in a home of a friend of mine that I admire and respect. The last thing I wanted to do is turn his home into a protest meeting and create an uncomfortable situation for him and the rest of his guests that were there to relax and have a drink with friends. From my perspective I thought that it was an impossible situation, as well as unfortunate, and since there was no protest committee to determine fault we were shaking hands and agreeing to disagree. When I was approached by Todd the next day I realized, then, that he still wanted me to accept fault. I told him there, in front of witnesses that I needed time to try to determine how we could get this event ruled on and if it was determined that I was at fault I would pay for the damages and accept fault. Since that conversation Todd and I have been in contact each day to discuss progress and suggest potential solutions. During this same time period I wrote up my description of what happened and sent it out to people that I know and trust that have been involved in protest hearings. It took time as I had to wait for one of the guys to get back from a cruise out of the country. Both of them saw the videos, my drawings and my write up. This morning they both concurred that I need to accept fault and responsibility for the damages to the leeward boat. I have contacted Todd and told him that I accept fault and will pay for damages.
As for the discussion on rule 41b, I had no prior knowledge of this rule and feel terribly that it could be possible that I could have participated in another infraction. Again, because I thought that I was not at fault at the time, I continued to sail on. I did see the damage above the water line of the boat and they were sailing it away under control and from my perspective I could not do anything to help them better than several boats with motors in attendance at the start. Since there is no committee to determine fault here what I am willing to do and intend to do is pose to Rick White that he swap my finish scores for the damaged boats finished scores as a way to exonerate myself from this possible infraction.
In conclusion I am very saddened by this turn of events and I thank everyone involved, especially Todd for being a stand up gentleman and allowing me the time I needed to come to an informed decision and make proper restitution. If there had been a formal means to resolve this Saturday it would have been done then and I would have accepted and respected the decision made.
Thanks to the people who know me and supported me and gave me the benefit of the doubt.
Respectfully Skip Kaub