Originally Posted by brucat
Obviously, since there apparently was no contact, Stray Cats (barely) kept clear of Wave (and vice-versa).

I would argue that that's not necessarily the case. There doesn't need to be contact in order to establish that one boat didn't keep clear. In fact, by making contact, either or both boats could be penalized under Rule 14.

In any case, after looking at the video several times, my opinion is that there are really two separate incidents that occur. The first being when Stray Cats enters the starting area from astern and above both Adrenaline and Wave with essentially no right of way under Rule 11. Wave's response to this is to luff. Whether the speed of Wave's luff violates Rule 16.1, or if Stray Cats Violated Rule 11 is open to interpretation. But this would be the topic for a separate protest.

After Stray Cats is luffed, she peels away and tacks off, leaving ample room for Wave to manuver to windward. However, Wave bears off, presumably in an attempt to get below the starting pin. In doing so, she accelerates and overlaps Adrenaline to windward from clear astern. Shortly after Wave initiates her bear away, Adrenaline turns upwind, closing the door on the start pin. Adrenaline is within her rights to do this as long as she doesn't violate Rule 161 since Wave's overlap was established from clear astern and Adrenaline may luff head-to-wind if she pleases. Wave is also not afforded any right of way under Rule 18, therefor, Wave's only response can be to luff up. She doesn't do this, and thus fouls Adrenaline by making contact and violating Rules 11 & 14.

Moral of the story, both Wave and Stray Cats tried to squeeze into a spot they shouldn't have. Stray Cats ultimately did the right thing by bailing out, Wave did the wrong thing by trying force her way in, and Adrenaline ended up paying the price.

At least, that's my take on it.

sm

Last edited by srm; 12/15/11 12:44 PM.