Mark...stop, please. You're looking like a fool. If I say I'm 70% sure we can make this clean. It means I think I can make it without impeding starboard.

Huh.... using plain language you would say... I Can or I Can't cross.... no probablities matter here..

That is exactly how you set this situation up... You made a No GO decision.

It's not a morality play - it's a percentage play. Morality never even comes into question.

You infered that I called you a cheater.... that is morality
I assert that your mindset and language violate the RRS.

Please read this carefully so you understand what I mean: my 70/30 proposition does not mean "I think the only 70% of my boat is going to clear and the last 30% of my boat is going to get hit of starboard doesn't take avoiding action". Also note that I would never go into a crossing situation, while on port, with confidence that we could not clear cleanly.

OK... You keep saying two different things....
70/30 is risk that you will take and break the rule.. (not hit the last 30% of the boat.)
vs
100% that you will not break the rule.

The game requires the second standard. (standards are pass/fail)

Please also note that if I misjudged I would ALWAYS err on the side of my fault and take the penalty turns.

Never a question that if you were at fault or challanged ... you would do your turns.

However... you ignore the principle of the rule... or simply don't accept it... (petes point)

Things are not black and white on the race course. In some tight crossings, you can't possibly KNOW for certain that you will make it because of the odd puff, wave, nerves, etc....I choose to grade my level of certainty and use that to make a judgement - that's how I think. I do this the right way. I don't get snarled at on the race course, my competition respects me, and hell, even Ding doesn't call me out on this...and he's crotchety on this stuff.

I completely agree that the REALITY on the water can make your 100%... "I will cross Orphan" cleanly go sideways.

At that point... (Follows in time and as a consequence of your decision to cross) the rules require starbord to avoid collision and allow you to take a penalty turn.... HISTORICALLY.... you would have been DSQd from the race....

The RRS are set up so that you accept responsiblity to call your own on the PS ROW. and ROW is absolute.

These are absolute requirments and set the standard for behavior on the race course.

The mindset you use 70/30..... risk reward, collision or not... is simply a violation of the rules... falls below the standard... What you count on is the local etiquette of crossing ... However, the chronic low level violations day to day on the race course violoate the standard.

Orphan is being nice to you... the issue is more then language you are using.

Try this.
So... this is a call your own sport.... (we agree on this correct?)

If the penalty of a foul in a cross was DSQ for you .... AND you agree that you and you alone make the call on your possible foul of Starbord... on the water

How would you describe the descion making process?

This is the standard of the RRS... (Standards are pass fail)

crac.sailregattas.com