Dave
A "clean cross" is a decision you have all made (except Pete). My question is, if you are close enough to have to think about it and you decide that absolutely you can make it cleanly, do you still analysis your future responsibility and race position if the other guy calls a protest?

I believe you answered this for your self... YES...you analyze the situation from HONOR starbord right of way.
You make the call on yourself.... the other guy can do what ever he wants... but all he gets to do is give you another bite at the apple... Protest... (not foul)and your third bite of course is the protest room.
I liked your analogy of HONOR ROW.

the football analogy fails because the ref calls the foul and the gamesmanship is to convince him of such. In Sailing you call your own.

a "legal" cross is in the fear, confidence, and "gamesmanship" of both players. Winning racers will vote on their prowess and boat speed to go for it while others, like Pete, would back down at the 1000 yard mark and tack away or duck.

This is catamaran sailors complete bastardization of the RRS and the sport of sailing.

crac.sailregattas.com