Originally Posted by pgp
Help establishing access! As you drive across the Sanibel causeway, note the spoil islands had been off limits for years, are now only marginally accessible and ask yourself if there is a nicer spot on Earth to sail from?

The local county gestapo doesn't give a damn about its residents but will bend over backward catering to tourists.

I have been launching my Hobie 16 there for the last couple of years. The causway is a great spot to launch from, as you can pick either side of the islands depending on wave/wind conditions. I've never had a real problem. After Memorial day they were cracking down on boaters launching jet skis, etc by driving their trucks and trailers in the water (claiming they caused erosion). The last time I was launching my H16, two separate park rangers came up to me and asked how I was intending to launch by boat. When I showed them the fat beach wheels, and explained that we walk it in the water by hand, they said "have a good time, looks like a lot of fun".

If we can't launch fromt the causeway it will be a bummer, as there is nowhere else in SW Florida to launch from.

2014 Hobie 16
1995 Hobie 16