That's interesting to me, Mike. I was at the event. Please elaborate on how US Sailing stepped up big time. I'm not being snarky here - I want to know. Liz Walker was at the event for the first time ever (as far as I recall, going back to 1998 which was before her tenure). I suppose she might have been in P'cola last year, but I wasn't there. I thought it was good of her to come - she was the timekeeper aboard the committee boat and the only person paid to be at the event.

I heard plenty of scuttlebutt regarding the financing of the event both before and during. It did not sound like US Sailing stepped up financially.

There were a couple of people there supporting the three daily video updates - these have been done for other events in the past and I was glad to see one for a multihull event. They're used to not only reach out to the US Sailing membership, but also in reaching out to sponsors - I understand that Rolex is no longer a sponsor, so I imagine the hunt is on to replace what had been a significant revenue stream, if not for the event then certainly for the organization.

US Sailing certainly supported the event, but to a far lesser degree than the other organizations involved. The rock was rolled uphill by volunteers (as usual). There were several former US Sailing volunteers participating at various levels, and several future former volunteers (if history is any guide).

So I'm interested - what do you consider "big time" and how do you see that in relation to the work done by others?

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.