Originally Posted by brucat
Guys, attacking each other isn't really helpful. Seems like no one can mention US Sailing here without people freaking out. It does not serve us well.

My point was simply that there is a long history of us not being very good at making people want to join, well before my tenure. My goal is to find ways to improve that.

Mike

Mike, if you want to get more people to join, first you have to answer this simple question (a question I've heard too many times at regattas):

What's in it for me?

You have to come up with $60 worth of 'Value' to sell it to non-members, and guess what, a regatta or two, ie. the Alter Cup and a qualifier, ain't it for most of us.

Oh, by the way, I did just last week, renew my membership through the Golden Anchor program, but only because I got a nice letter from whom ever is in charge of that program now (Liz?), and I got a $10 Discount! Oh, and I needed a new rule book anyway!

I'll still probably never attend an Alter Cup qualifier or the Alter Cup itself. It's not my thing. It brings out the worst in people, just look back at this thread.

I sail for fun, to relax, not for drama, I get enough of that at home with the 4 kids.

And right now, for the first time in 4 days, I see sun outside, and there's some wind, so I'm going sailing! Man is my lake full now! It's come up about 5 feet this summer!

See Ya!

Blade F16