Mark, it isn't a proof of concept - it was practice. We gave significant recognition to the manufacturers for years, and they provided boats at a sharply discounted charter fee. The fee was going up, but was still 50% of market value or less. Boats were put into a region where manufacturers or dealers or fleets felt they would sell, and they did before the end of the event with only one or two years as exceptions. It was a good relationship, and the goal wasn't elitism - it was putting new boats in an area where fleet growth was happening. We didn't dictate what the boat would be - we asked what the builders wanted to sell. Because the event wasn't about the boat. It was about equal platforms and a rotation system that put each team on each boat at some point in the event. Ten area representatives, several class champions and three petitions - again, not solely for the elite, but still prestigious. And not for the sole purpose of selling boats, but to grow fleets and attract multihullers to the organization irrespective of class affiliation. I didn't come up with any of this, so there's no ego involved.

No need to cover the history again, is there? Things changed, but only because (IMO) the volunteers lost control. Certainly there had been diminished interest in Area events, but over half of them were still happening, particularly where there were spark plugs. Contrast this with zero at present. Area events generated members. Now that US Sailing membership isn't required to sail the championship, there is a net loss of members. Just join your sailing federation (PUR or FRA, for example), bring your CE vest, and sail on. This year, international sailors at least joined US Sailing in the spirit of the event, but we're still undeniably net loss.

I understand the situation - the process has resulted in what we have now, and it has never been my intention to malign the people who show up, wave flags, blow horns and carry beach wheels. I simply do not accept the "you can't do that" that we hear now from the organization that should be asking us how it should be done. We did do that, you and me and many who frequent this forum. In service to sailors. And it was working. But I accept my views are out of step with the current volunteers' outlook, who, as you've pointed out, will spin, sloop and single-hander. And we'll see where we land. Make me wrong and I'll be happy. In the meantime, I doubt I can resist asking for clarification, for example, when someone posts a declarative that doesn't seem to fit the facts.

TL:DR?

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.