Gents,

Again, I guess we could ask the SA chapter how they dealt with the handicap and Hobie 16 conflict, but from recent handicapping results it seems more on who you know and what way the wind is blowing than materials and design. With the massive differences already between the two classes in hull and sail they seem to already be on opposite ends of the spectrum depending on the weather conditions. Personally I didn't join mozzies to sail against Hobies, but because it seemed a great social class and I wanted to sail against other mozzies.

I think the modern look would help attract new sailors to the class without any great difference to the boat, as it looks good and modern for something designed in 1960s. I also think that in light to moderate winds the sheeting systems people are using now would provide sufficient leach tension, and above that it you would probably want it to twist off. The Arrows use a PT mast section, and they have only recently gone to diamond wires.

I am not trying to upset the apple cart, but after the experiencing the differences between sailing with and without a kite, and people stating this kept them in the class, that this would perhaps be another step forward. Here in NSW I have heard of the demise of Cobras, Maricats and Stingray classes, and the measures the Arrows have taken to survive. We have seen the effect of Taipans and recently Vipers and A class on mozzie numbers. Through the efforts of the class, mozzies seem to be on the increase, and my reason for bringing up this topic is that I think this is another option to continue that trend. I think that Mozzies could become one of the last classes that people can build at home and sail competitively with far more expensive classes.

Luke