Well there's a lot of posts since the last time I had a look at the forum been busy, going sailing does that whistle .

Originally Posted by Dave M
Just thought I would mention again, just in case it was forgotten .There is a mast section available that is the same profile as the current mast section but has internal stiffening ribs as a part of the extrusion.

this is a possible way of addressing the soft mast argument.Also the weight increase would be minimal.
Dave 1724

Dave can you tell us where you can get this section that fits Mossie rules, the person that orders masts from Capral for the VMCA has never heard of it and as the South African Mossies and Cobras buy at least some of their sections from the VMCA, if something better was out there I think they would be using it. Also one member has spent years chasing a stiffer mast for his own project of a taller rig but has not been able to come up with a different mast that didn't incur too great a weight penalty.

It must be remembered that the reason why a Mossie performs so well with a small rig, is it's power to weight ratio, you put the weight of a Taipan mast for instance up on a Mossie and the hobby horsing would be horrific and when you're rocking back and forth you're not going forward. Believe me States reminded me of how bad hobby horsing can be in the Bay chop cry .

Mossie sailmakers I have spoken to, don't seem to think it's practical from a performance point of view to go square top, asthetics is something else, but not worth chasing in my opinion.

Arrows in Vic have not been saved by the square top (as yet anyway) and as mentioned need a stiffer mast, so more cost.

Until somebody can come up with a reasonably priced light weight mast alternative, I can't see how the Mossie can go square top.