Originally Posted by beckit 1824

I think it is poor that people are recommending going to another class just because we are asking a question! We are investigating an option to get more people into the class, not repel existing members.

Square tops are a subject that has been considered in the past, they are a development that other similar classes to ours have gone with and certainly something we should at least rationally talk about. My understanding is that Mozzies are scaled down Tornados, and square tops are something they adopted many years ago.

Those of us that are mentioning F16's and such arent recommending going to another class in fact I am always pushing our class to people, we are simply mentioning if you want to experiment and such there are classes to do that. I think one of the strengths is that the class is affordable for a range of people. Im not saying we dont develop the class but we also dont want to push people out of the class because they cant affort to get a new rig and get left behind on the water. We need to look at this carefully so we dont see a repeat of the class implosion from years ago.

As for the Tornado. A- they are a scalled up mossie we arent the scaled down version, we are older. B- When they updated their main to a square top and added the kite they also upgraded their mast section to a wing mast ie wider section to get a stiffer mast section with less mast bend which is what you need with a square top.

Our current section is flexy and will bend, therefore in a gust the mast bends which will open the leech and depower the main. With a square top you are relying on the main to do its own depowering by the head falling to leeward and opening the leech therefore depowering they dont need the mast section to depower. You cant sucsussfully combined the flexy mast and the square top.
Just my point of view having spent quite some time working with bigger cats and Skiff sails with square heads.

"Sixth Element"
1782 MK2 w/spinnaker.
Lake Bonney Y.C.
National Sec. / S.A President / S.A Measurer / Commodore LBYC