Originally Posted by PIRATE
Originally Posted by Dave M
..... This is a ball park figure; The same size mast with internal reinforcing currently stands at approximately $850-900 dollars.(a discount would be probable if bought in bulk )......

shocked

but the other option we're forgetting & that's fairly cheap is.....

Originally Posted by Kevin from Sth Africa
I have
fitted a forward facing diamond (parrot perch) between the foot and the
hound.

This makes it very affordable in comparision to an entire new section ....

This means the association isn't left holding a bag full of mast sections .... and we keep new masts affordable at the same time grin

The mast regulations can basically stay as they are......

The smaller section remains a lightweight user friendly mast ....

I don't think I could right a boat with a heavier duty or larger section mast .... am I alone ???? ... blush

Without seeing Kevin's forward facing diamond setup, I'm sure we have enough collective brain power to design a simple enough unit ourselves to overcome the stiffness issues with the square-top sail on current section even with its size limitations.....

wink

Pirate you forgot one important part in your quote from South Africa.

"The diamond does interfere with jib when tacking - not badly, but crew needs to help sheets through.
The mast is stiff enough between foot and hound, but bends a lot above the hound.

In medium wind, I can't get enough leech tension - I sheet in harder to close the leech, the mast bends, sail flattens and leech opens again.
Creases start forming - use a bit of Cunningham - mast bends and leech opens............."

Admittedly he said he's still working on it but, forward facing diamonds or **** perches have been tried on a number of classes masts over the years and most don't have them now. It's a very hard thing to get to work properly, particularly as a smooth flexible all round set up and adds alot of rig tuning complexity, many will want to set up a system that is adjustable on the water, adding further complexity.

Just my opinion, but I am not keen on a third diamond.