Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Jake, if I understand what you and others are saying is that the DP-N system is not being actively managed since the passing of Darlene's era?

I don't have any factual information about whether or not that is a true statement. I do know that the system is very specialized and when I was involved, just before Darlene's passing, there was not anybody else able to run it although others had tried to pick it up and take that off Darlene. Jamie Diamond got involved at some point but I'm not sure he got it into a workable fashion either - I think he too had intended to make some modifications to it. However, I'm not clear whether Jamie was trying to just run it or modify it. I looked at it for a brief period and quickly learned that it was over my head in trying to modify it but I never tried to compile it as it was. The Fortran compiler was expensive at the time but it looks like you can get free compilers now. Darlene eventually took it back up in a limited fashion. I do not know of anyone that has actually compiled numbers using the actual system since Darlene but I have not been involved in several years.

The software (Fortran) is tricky to run and requires a good deal of specialization with old programming / compiling software. My experience with Fortran originated in the time when it was running on IBM mainframes and you would interface with a command line green monochrome terminal station and had to schedule compiling time with the university. Someone on the committee today may well be able to compile the software and statistics as it stands but it's not something that just anyone could pick up and run with. It's definitely not an excel spreadsheet. ;-)

Jake Kohl