Originally Posted by cyberspeed
Hi Mark,
You are correct but we also administer a series where we are not in charge of all events. I work directly with the event organizers on specific items but in the end it is their race and many hate change especially when it is a lot more work.

Sail Series Promotions is also a member of US Sailing and makes sense to have our races use the same scoring system as the organization we are a member of.

It is great that Rick has agreed to use SCHRS for the Steeplechase but other event organizers might not be so willing. I have already gotten a little push back from some sailors not wanting change and asking why change. If US Sailing declared Portsmouth dead and switched to SCHRS, there would be no need for discussions. From a series stand point, it makes more sense having all events use the same rating system as the rest of the country instead of going rouge but if the only system has not been updated in five years and doesn't have ratings for any of the new boats, it really leaves you no choice unless you make up your own ratings for new boats like the Nacra 17 olympic boat.

There is also the fact that we are going to have to measure a lot more boats if we are the only ones to use SCHRS. By using the same system globally, that load would be shared by other events. So far, we need get ratings for the G-Cat 6.1 and ARC 22. That is assuming the N-20 is stock. I seriously doubt the MKL and Mug Cup would switch unless US Sailing switches.

N20 "european" had some sail area differences, fyi...smaller spinnaker if I remember correctly.

Jake Kohl