Originally Posted by Jake
Jay, the certificate process you are talking about is for a relatively serious boat that cost a pretty penny when compared to a 15 year old Prindle 18-2. You just can't expect the guy that spent $1200 on his entire boat to go through a two month certification process (possibly involving the cost to have stuff measured) to get a piece of paper that he really doesn't care about. I would rather assign the guy a rough handicap number and have a better chance that he shows up to a regatta every now an then instead of making it MORE difficult for him to do so.

Thank you for stroking my fragile ego, Jake. To consider me "relatively serious boat" and inferring the same about my racing ability is enjoyable.

But yes, the $75 cost for the PHRF cert was a bit bothersome. At least I could measure (with the instructions) my own stuff (and get some off the OD specs when it was built in 2006) to save that money.

Still, if you're going to "race" you can't expect to do it at no cost.

They don't call racing "standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 bills" for nothing... Sailors are a parsimonious lot, but c'mon...

In Hans' case I think he's got all the specs you need (and probably could come up with his own SCHRS or DP-N number) but the dude with a frankenboat one-off probably would overwhelm the measurer at the regatta?

Like if Randy shows up with Scissors and wants you to come up with a number for him... (yeah, that's probably a stretch...)

I do appreciate the comments from those who help out with OA and measuring. To see that you are willing to do that much for someone just to get them out on the course is admirable. It still makes me think the sailor is being a little lazy in that respect (not getting a rating prior to showing up)... especially if they actually are wishing to win...

Jay