Originally Posted by Jake
This isn't PHRF - we're not a bunch of rich a$$holes trying to find loopholes in the measurement system to gain a 30 second advantage on the other guy

I don't know if I'd go that far.... I've seen some really crazy sail shapes that appear to take advantage of the very moderate DPN hit for oversize or fathead?

And could a foiling boat be considered a "loophole"? The N17 wasn't originally considered a foiling boat, and the AC Rule last iteration was designed to eliminate potential foiling, correct? (but we all know how that worked...). And then that Chupacabra sail on the T boat at the China olympics (had that thing worked in those conditions, imagine the sh*tstorm it would have caused)

As far as spending clams on boats, I would posit that beachcat racers are slipping down that slope as we speak... With the exception of some venerable classes (H-16, Wave, etc) I can't think of any new boats in most of today's fleets that cost under $30k...

So why wouldn't an enterprising sailor/racer pick up a cheap-o N5.5 or Dart and "turbo" it up? or add a Spin/Screecher to a non-spin boat. I think that would benefit the sailor far more than the DPN hit would indicate on paper, right?

with all of today's technology (like those chips runners use on their shoes, Kattack, RaceQ, smartphones, etc) you'd think it would be straightforward to automatically record time/distance on race courses, continuous weather/water conditions and upload that data nation/worldwide to adjust both design speeds as well as individual skipper handicaps...

Would be a fine example of crowdsourcing. Toss a few Google or high school nerds at parsing out the data, a few statisticians to set up confidence parameters, and Dr. Evil to head up the program...

I make it sound so easy... which is why I'm still poor.

Jay