Hi Brian, You should rethink this idea. Even an expertly designed F-14 would not appeal to all interested people because any design is best suited to certain conditions of use. What appeals to one person may be just the opposite of what someone else is looking for and there are design trade-offs in every aspect - from rig considerations to the hull design. If you are truly interested in making as universal a design as possible, then your first task would be to identify your target market and find out what they want. I remember from my marketing classes that too many failed businesses did things the way you are starting - make a product and then find the buyers. Better for success if you identify the buyers and the product they want and then supply it better, cheaper, faster, or whatever than anyone else. Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone scrambling to buy (or even use for free) the design of someone with no knowledge or experience in boat design. That is not meant to be mean to you, just realistic. Your initial idea was much better to pay for a design and build that. At least you will end up with something that satisfies YOUR DESIRES and you will not waste your boatbuilding efforts and expenses. You would learn much and get to exercise your obvious interest in design just by working with a pro to give input on the design of your dreams. I hope this makes sense to you and that you do not feel attacked because that is not how I mean it. I admire your enthusiasm and I would like you to succeed. Your chances of that would be much better if you work with a pro. There will still be plenty for you to do in building, rigging, and competing with the new boat.

Good luck, Mike

Last edited by Mike Fahle; 06/23/04 07:13 PM.