So... I sat down to draw a to-scale (1"=1') side-view of what I want the boat to look like, basic dimensions, beam-placement, board placement, etc.. It was quite the learning expirience!

I drew the hulls first, then referred to my Quattro 14 plans for beam placement (has the leading-edge of the mast beam at the 7' mark), then drew in the dagger-board and sloped the stern end of the keel up to the transom (might have made the transom too short, will deal with that later). It looked pretty nice, until I drew in the mast and boom To get a 140sq.ft. mainsail I had to go with a 23' luff and 8' boom with a roachy square-top (this was by playing in Sailform). The boom would overhang the transoms by over a foot, and the dagger-board (and thus CLR) would be well forward of the CoE. (I drew the mast in with a very slight rake to it)

I realized that, as a boardless/skeg boat, the Quattro 14 would benefit for it's mast placement by keeping the CoE closer to the rudders, which must make up a good portion of its lateral resistance. However, going with a boarded design requires some changes.

I wrote down a short list of solutions:
1) move board aft (but it would have to be very near the aft beam to balance the main)
2) move the mast forward (looks like it would have to be moved ~1'6" forwards
3) move the mast forwards 1' and the board aft 6"

I'm leaning more towards #2. I know most of the new high-performance boats have the mast right about center or aft of it, but they also have much higher-aspect mainsails that keep more of the drive close to the mast.

I posted this to "test my logic" with you all, as I'm going on eyeball-assumptions from my drawings for right now. I'll be making a few more drawings tomorrow and see how things turn out.

(Berny, I'm currently kicking myself for thinking a 24' mast would be tall enough. I think I'd prefer a taller mast and shorter foot to get the 140-150sq.ft. mainsail! Anyone care to re-write the F14 rules to allow taller masts? )

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T