Mary,

does it matter so much wether the boat is 12feet or 12feet 10 inches when few of the other formula classes adhere to the same logic? For me it dont matter much, but if it will be a better boat with 12'10", then it sounds logical to choose the longer one.

What matters for me is the price of participating (building), handling (on/off cars, rigging AND sailing) and safety.

From what I have seen of the discussion, it should be possible to build such a boat for a lot less than US$3000 if you dont buy professionally made sails, trampolines and rudders. Homebuild might be almost as good (or better in some cases) and a lot cheaper. The loads on this boat is probably small enough to allow for ply/glass rudder construction.

I dont think further discussion will bring further positive elements forth. It's time to finish some designs and build them. But the usual ply "torturers" are busy with other projects. Perhaps Tad (Maughan) can be enticed to produce a prototype as he expressed interest. Or perhaps you could consider trying your hand with some boatbuilding? Building tramps and a sail would be a good project to test your new sewing machine. Stitch and glue building is fast and something everybody can do with reasonable results.