How about a compromise, lower struts for standing the rig, then stays for stiffening up the top of the mast

Yes, that is a possibility. In my opinion something like 3 mm dyneema line will be up to the job. The attachment points of the push rods to the hulls will provide a strong enough point to take these.

Limiting the sideways bend of the mast is one of the more promising performance enhancers.

The stay going to the front is a different matter but just as we do with spinnaker pole support wires we can easily drill small holes in the very tips of the bow and secure a twin forestay to those.

The more difficult item to solve is how to do the hound fitting on the mast with a sleeved mainsail on it.

In my opinion it is yet again one more thing. It is very easy to add parts to a design, but I'm not sure that is the best way to satisfy the stated design goals. I think that I strongly feel that the F12 is a "less is more" kind of concept.

Everything that is not stricktly necessary is better left out. This is one reason why I'm trying to get rid of the camber inducers as well. Afterall, each items adds both cost, building time and rigging time. These things do add up.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands